Kirby Lumber Company at Fuqua, Texas, in 1902; excerpts from American Lumberman magazine.  
Source: American Lumberman. "Timber Resources of East Texas, Their Recognition And Development", originally published in American Lumberman November 22, 1902. Chicago: American Lumberman, 1902. pp. 165-173.
  Excerpt from "CHAPTER XXI. Mills M, N, O, and P”:  

That “the old order changeth” is exemplified by the improvements to be made in mill “O” at Fuqua. This mill was built in 1901 by D. C. Hackney, who started the plant's construction the day after he arrived at Fuqua. The mill in its original condition was of the single circular pattern, with small capacity, but is to be enlarged by the Kirby company.

D. C. Hackney, the superintendent at Fuqua, has been connected with lumber interests for the past eighteen years. Before the mill operated by his brother at Fuqua was started he was with the Emporia Lumber Company, but the greater part of his experience has been with the Fuqua mill. The timber at this place was owned by T. L. Hackney, and it was through the instrumentality of this gentleman that the plant at Fuqua was built. It was purchased by the Kirby interests in January of this year.

The work of changing the plant at this point to a band mill is now under way. The machinery will be new throughout, with the exception of the edger. In addition to the 8-foot Allis band saw there will be a Giddings & Lewis steam gang saw and all other equipment necessary to bring the plant up to a point in accord with modern ideas as to what a mill should have in order to cut from 80,000 to 90,000 feet during a 10-hour run.

The building for the planer is now complete and the machinery for this adjunct to the mill is being put in and trued up. The timber at this point is shortleaf of an unusually good quality and will be used mostly in making finish lumber. The engine for the planer will be a Filer & Stowell with a 16 x 24 inch cylinder.

The town is, built in the center of a heavily wooded tract, and from the train but little is visible on account of the dense foliage. There are about seventy-five or eighty houses in the village and the population is estimated at 450 to 500.

The logging operations are in charge of T. M. Caselbery, who was formerly with the Central Coal & Coke Company. His service has been extremely satisfactory. The tram road is only two and one-half miles in length and on this account but one engine is used to supply the mill with logs.

The company employs here about 200 men in the various departments, though some months there are as many as 400 names on the pay roll.

Text and images were digitized and proofread from the original source documents by Murry Hammond. Contact Murry for all corrections and contributions of new material.